Squeak on Solaris

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Sun Sep 28 06:15:41 UTC 2003

Lex Spoon wrote:
> I'd be interested if headful gives you the same behavior.  One thing
> that happens in a headless image is that the virtual display is tiny.  I
> don't remember the exact size, except that it's *much* less than
> 640x480.  This could conceivably cause something to go bonkers.

I was about to write and say it was down at 5% running under X but it
then proceeded to climb up to around 20 again, so it looks like it
doesn't make any difference (although it seems slightly less consistent
now - sometimes drops to 10% briefly or goes up to 30%).

> Also, it should be easier to debug what is happening if you run headful.
>  If you run message tally on the process that is using up CPU (assuming
> it's a single process), then something relevant should turn up.  To do
> this, if it's the GUI loop, choose the revelant items from the debug
> menu that mention "message tally".  If it's not in the GUI loop, then
> start your process something like this:
>
> 	MessageTally spyOn: [ "... insert server code here ..." ]

I'm not sure what you mean here.  I opened a ProcessBrowser: the UI
process is using 45%, the idle process 45%, the I/O process 8%, and
there's a sempahore>>waitTimeoutMSecs: (one of three) that is using 1%.
  The image isn't doing anything at the moment except waiting for a
seaside (well, comanche I guess) connection... I'm not sure what I'm
looking for in terms of message tallies.

Julian