Squeak on Solaris

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sun Sep 28 15:12:34 UTC 2003

On Saturday 27 September 2003 11:15 pm, Julian Fitzell wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean here.  I opened a ProcessBrowser: the UI
> process is using 45%, the idle process 45%, the I/O process 8%, and
> there's a sempahore>>waitTimeoutMSecs: (one of three) that is using
> 1%. The image isn't doing anything at the moment except waiting for
> a seaside (well, comanche I guess) connection... I'm not sure what
> I'm looking for in terms of message tallies.

Why in the world is the UI using so much time?

Easy way to do this:

* open a Process Browser
* turn on the CPU watcher
* turn on the auto-update
* don't move the mouse.

The UI process should be *way* down in the percentage numbers (less
than 10%). If it isn't, try closing all other windows, deleting
Morphs, making flaps disappear, etc.

Then, select the UI process. Get the context menu and choose "profile
messages". Give it 10 seconds or so.

You should see where the time is going.

By the way, I've found that changing the 16 msec interval in
MessageTally class>>spyOnProcess:forMilliseconds: (and spyOn:) to 1
msec improves the resolution considerably.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com