Erlang (was: Re: Generics)

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Mon Sep 29 13:01:53 UTC 2003

Hi Folks --

Erlang is worth looking at.

At 11:53 AM +0000 9/29/03, Blaine Buxton wrote:
>Hey,
>I've been reading up on Erlang myself. They have an approach where
>everything is a process and you send messages to these processes.

This was the approach of the original Smalltalk. It is also used by
David Reed in the object-process scheme in Croquet (back to the
future!).

>Just imagine having a separate process for each Squeak object.

Andreas Raab has made process switching in Squeak extremely efficient ....

>  They argue that processes should be as easy to create as objects.
>You would think this would kill performance, but actually, the
>systems they have written in it scale very well (the web server they
>wrote in Erlang can handle 10x the capacity of a Apache server, if I
>remember correctly). They also boast numbers of 99.99999%
>availablity for the Ericsson switch that was written in mostly
>Erlang. Now, those boasts are what got me interested. It is a
>functional language and they are big on no mutable state like most
>functional languages. They argue that Erlang makes multi-processing
>easy and in fact easier than single process systems. They seem very
>anti-OO on their list,

Then they don't understand OO or history ...

>  but I have found that the whole process thing maps very well to objects.

It does.

>  But, I haven't gotten that far. It just seems they have been
>scarred by the {} crowd and static typed OO systems.

These are OO systems?

>I haven't had a whole lot of time to really get much deeper than
>that. I bought the book and have been working through some of the
>examples. They do a lot with pattern matching

Again, like Smalltalk-72.

>  and it's made me think about certain programming topics differently.

As I mentioned, this approach is well worth studying. It also harks
back to the tail-recursive ideas of Actors (Carl Hewitt) which were
derived from Smalltalk, but have many interesting contributions of
their own.

Cheers,

Alan