"lightweight"

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Thu Apr 1 19:12:56 UTC 2004

  Lex,

> Yoshiki Ohshima <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org> wrote:
> >   The magazine is called "Lightweight Language Magazine" and the
> > magazine is about Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, and etc.  A section is
> > devoted to "other" languages like Haskell, Emacs Lisp, and Squeak.  As
> > you could imagine, the target audience is "language nerds" type.
> >
> >   I still don't know if Squeak qualifies as a "Lightweight Language,"
> > whatever the definition is, but more visibility is better.
>
> Don't you know?  Lightweight means "good" nowadays.  People sprinkle it
> around everywhere.  Frequently it means "doesn't have much code to it"
> (and thus, that it probably consumes heavy CPU and memory), but really,
> it can be applied to anything.

  Hehe, so it was good.

  I finally got the magazine sent form publisher and browse it.  It
turned out it is a spin-off/inspired/... by the Lightweight Language
Workshop  http://ll2.ai.mit.edu.

  It sounds like one of the committee said "the definition of the
lightweight language is explicitly undefined" (or something like
that).  Nice definition.

-- Yoshiki