Running out of memory during updates

Frank Shearar frank at angband.za.org
Thu Apr 1 19:15:05 UTC 2004

On my machine at home (FreeBSD, 3.4-1 VM, 3.7a-5816 image) I started loading
the latest updates. When 5834 started (the Accuny install, I think it is), my
image started consuming vast tracts of land^Wmemory. By "vast tracts of
memory" I mean "as much memory as it could squeeze out of me" - I started, as
a test, squeak with "-memory 96m" and as soon as 5834 started initialising I
could see squeak's memory footprint increasing my leaps and bounds. Within 10
seconds it had reached the memory limit and a low space warning popped up.

Does this mean it's time I bit the bullet and hand-crafted a 3.6 VM?

(This happened to me a while back (maybe a month ago?) - an update consuming
all available memory, and I worked around the issue by downloading the latest
3.7a image, and working from there.)

frank