64 bit images(was: A plan for 3.8/4.0...)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Apr 2 17:00:45 UTC 2004

Alan Grimes <alangrimes at starpower.net> wrote:

> I am still trying to puzzle out why the "positive32BitInt" function
> seems to do a byte-order conversion when faced with a long int....
It's compensating for possible endianness issues. The code as is works
for both littleendian and bigendian.  Large integers are byte objects,
SmallIntegers are cpu-endian dependent word objects.

> Futhermore, why is there a negative long int class?
Because the code works out quit nicely that way. It saves having a flag
for +/- - which is after all a useful aspect of inheritance.

tim
Useful random insult:- Changes hands and picks up a stroke.