Namespaces (was: Re: [ANN]A plan for 3.8/4.0...(insertdrumrollhere))

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Sun Apr 4 14:38:04 UTC 2004

Lothar Schenk <lothar.schenk at gmx.de> wrote:
> stéphane ducasse wrote:
>
> > ...the idea was you have multiple Smalltalk
> > environments (difficult to express again)....
>
> Mmm, that's something I've been idly speculating about. I don't know if this
> holds up to the scrutiny of experts, but has anybody ever considered the
> possibility of splitting up a Smalltalk system at the image level? It is, a
> Smalltalk system should be comprised of multiple images, not just one.

Take a look at GemStone/S. Been around since 1985 IIRC. A
"distributed-multi-image-system" or a
"single-transactional-image-multiple-VMs-system" depending on how you
like to view it.

Really, really cool system. I think it is freely downloadable for
non-commercial use.

Also many efforts in the Squeak community have similar characteristica
and are in some ways inspired by GemStone - like say KATS from Stephen
Pair (an object transactional engine) or Magma from Chris Muller (a
simplified GemStone clone).

regards, Göran