[Monticello] Error: Could not find version ...

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 5 06:04:48 UTC 2004

Hi Avi, I have had an opportunity to dig a little deeper and have a better
understanding of the problem; enough to know how to recreate it.

  1) Have a package A that depends on B.
  2) Save a version of A to Repository1.
  3) Delete the just-saved versions of A and B from your package-cache
(real-world, move your image to another computer, but not the package-cache).
  4) Delete the just-saved versions of A and B from the repository you just
saved them to (real world:  Repository1 is now inaccessible because you got on
a plane), try to save a version of A to a different repository.  Boom!

Here are the two relevant methods:

MCWorkingCopyBrowser>>saveVersion
	workingCopy newVersion ifNotNilDo:
		[:v |
		(MCVersionInspector new version: v) show.
		Cursor wait showWhile: [self repository storeVersion: v].
		v allDependenciesDo:
			[:dep |
			(self repository includesVersionNamed: dep info name)
				ifFalse: [self repository storeVersion: dep]]]

and

MCVersion>>allDependenciesDo: aBlock
	| v |
	self dependencies do:
		[:ea |
		v _ ea resolve.
		aBlock value: v.
		v allDependenciesDo: aBlock]

#saveVersion is attempting to do precisely what I had hoped, store a new
version file in the repository if it needs it.  However, #allDependenciesDo:
seems to require that it already exist in *some* repository somewhere to
#resolve it.

Is this working as designed then?  I just need to be sure, if I move my image
to another computer, I need to be sure to get the package-cache as well.  Or
maybe I should add an in-image cache?  (I thought I read somewhere that was
supported, but now I don't see it on +Repository).

Meanwhile, I'm also trying to figure out the best way to get out of this mess.
I tried resetting all of my ancestry and saving anew, but that didn't work.
Thank goodness all of my projects histories are not already entrenched in
Monticello just yet, so I can start over.  Figuring out what to do if I
couldn't start over could be a nightmare.

Your help is appreciated, thanks..

  Chris

PS - Also, would you please let me know how you and Ned would like to proceed
with the SARBuilder work.  I presume you want to review and provide feedback, I
know you're busy, but I'd like to know what to expect.