Namespaces (was: Re: [ANN]A plan for 3.8/4.0... (insertdrumrollhere))

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Apr 5 16:24:37 UTC 2004

Hi goran

I cannot reply to everything because I would have to digest it. I think
that you are right stating that namespace will interact with the other
features. We had a ***lot*** of discussion here because we wanted to
understand if we needed to separate them (as advised by joseph) from
package or not.
And I learned that putting them together is not so good but separating
them makes the model complex. By email this is not easy to report
that...:)

For example I think that namespace as in VW are not worth because you
end up having a small
namespace per project and a lot of import. On the other hand, I
understand the point of andreas
because he needs a way to control the names in his world. I think that
it depends if you are forced
or not to use them all the time.

In classboxes any code is defined in a classbox (as now a class is
defined in Smalltalk) and you have to import the class you want to see
in your world. However, I see classbox more as a try to understand the
issues with some nice papers and scientific progress :) than a
definitive wonderful solve all the problem solution. We learned that
the issue is complex especially when you want something minimal. So I
just wanted to tell you that I understand what  you are saying.

Stef