A plan for 3.8/4.0... (insert drumroll here)

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Mon Apr 5 20:48:17 UTC 2004

Serge Stinckwich wrote:

>> Currently Squeak uses a Many:1 scheduler. It manages "many" processes
>> and schedules them onto one interpreter. I propose to implement a
>> Many:Many scheduler. There would be N interpreters for the number of
>> available computing elements. In addition to these there would be
>> "helper" threads that would be dedicated to IO tasks.
>

> Did you look at a continuation-based model of threads ?

I don't really understand continuations. Squeak already has a process
model that appears to be sufficient. The problem is designing the
interpreter such that it can be instantiated several times concurrently
without creating race conditions.

I'll leave changes to the language itself to the people who have done
such a great job with it to date.