A plan for 3.8/4.0... (insert drumroll here)

Travis Griggs tgriggs at key.net
Mon Apr 5 19:04:25 UTC 2004

Alan Grimes wrote:
> Chris Muller wrote:
>
>  >>The major improvment that I'm trying to work towards is SMP/SMT support.
>  >>Squeak today is strictly single threaded...
>  >>
>  >>

>  >Could this be done in a platform independent way?  I'm no expert with
>  >concurrent thread programming, but my impression is that instances of
> Process
>  >in Smalltalk are copmletely identical across platforms because they're
> just
>  >internal objects, not OS threads.  This is nice for portability, so
> OS-Thread
>  >support would be a different, *additional* thing available for use.
> Is that right?
>  >
>  >

> It would be invisable to the user. It may require some relatively minor
> changes to the image, I don't know.
>
> The actual thread implementation will depend on the threading library
> available on the platform.
>
> Currently Squeak uses a Many:1 scheduler. It manages "many" processes
> and schedules them onto one interpreter. I propose to implement a
> Many:Many scheduler. There would be N interpreters for the number of
> available computing elements. In addition to these there would be
> "helper" threads that would be dedicated to IO tasks.

I like this. This is (IMO) the correct way to do it.Just curious though,
and I most likely missed this, just noticed this thread and all, but how
do you propose sync'ing the garbage collector's activities between your
"many" interpreters?

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains information that may be confidential to and/or copyrighted by Key Technology.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply email and immediately delete this email.  Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited.  Any views expressed in the email are those of the individual sender unless the sender expressly states them to be the views of Key Technology.  No representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses.  Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.