[ENH] DefaultProgressBar

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Tue Apr 6 03:35:42 UTC 2004

Hi, guys -

I think the new progress bar needs a performance tweak.

I am working with a big object cruncher that inexplicably takes two hours to run, when my friend can run it in 15 minutes on his (slower) computer.

When I tracked things down I discovered that this little expression...

'Now you see it... '
	displayProgressAt: Display center
	from: 0 to: 10000
	during: [:bar | 1 to: 10000 do: [:i | bar value: i]].

...runs in 55 seconds with the new progress bar, whereas it completes in 350 milliseconds with the old one.

Perhaps some sort of quick check (like integer bar length) before starting all the wheels to turn.

	- Dan