Flow experiences

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at cableone.net
Tue Apr 6 19:00:02 UTC 2004

Craig Latta wrote:
> Hi Jimmie--
>
>>I've been playing around installing and attempting to install Flow in
>>various images.
>
> 	Thanks!

My pleasure.

>>Flow does not install into Stock 3.6 or greater images.
>
> 	As I mentioned, the last installer I wrote was for Squeak 3.2 final, in
> August 2002. It was annoying, because the kitchen-sink snapshot is such
> a moving target. It was one of my motivations for developing a minimal
> snapshot and module system. I intend for the next release of Flow to
> install using that system.

Yes, I very much look forward to Squat.

> 	You can still *use* Flow in a 3.6 or later snapshot (I'm using it in
> 3.6 myself), you just have to choose the components. The Flow 2a
> installer is a file which, when filed in, unzips parts of itself into
> several fileouts with decriptive names. You need to choose the
> appropriate ones to install, and, depending on the the updates that have
> been applied, some additional changes may be required.

How do I access the separate fileouts?

> 	Yes, that's somewhat annoying. :)  This is the very same annoyance I
> refer to above, and the main reason why I don't want to keep living with
> a kitchen-sink snapshot. :)

Not a problem.

I was just trying to make a report, not a request for improvement.
Squat is that improvement. Vive la squat!

> 	So, the basic deal is, if you just want to see what Flow is all about,
> what the message interface is like, etc., use the 3.2-final snapshot. If
> you want to use it in a current snapshot, you'll need to do a little
> patching; it's not that bad.

I did alright until I ran into the #OldSocket situation and then kindof
punted for the moment. :)

>>These images do not contain required packages/software.
>>
>>Missing is PWS, PluggableCodeGenerator, SystemTracer.
>>If you add those things to the 3.6 image, the install fails due to
>>already having #OldSocket in the image as it tries to rename the
>>#Socket hierarchy to #OldSocket.
>>
>>The 3.7 image also does not have the VM-Interpreter* (Simulator,
>>CCodeGenerator) classes etc. which are required.
>
> 	That's all backward-compatibility stuff for 3.2 which makes no sense in
> post-SqueakMap snapshots. You can just leave those
> backward-compatibility fileouts out.

Gotcha.

>>This is with this version of Flow.
>>http://netjam.org/smalltalk/sources/flow/flow2a.zip
>>
>>It is the only version I can find.
>>Is this the correct version?
>
> 	That is indeed the latest released self-installing version.

What other versions are there? Squat?

>>It also doesn't look like the architecture on:
>>http://netjam.org/flow/architecture.html
>
> 	How so?

I don't see any of the higher level stuff on that page.
No Correspondents hierarchy, just a Correspondents class.
No HTTPClient or HTTPServer, etc.

Are those available elsewhere? or any of the Correspondents hierarchy?

> 	thanks again,

Thank you. I'm the one being the Pain in the ... :)

Jimmie