about gtk server

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Apr 7 12:08:39 UTC 2004

Hi!

danil osipchuk <danil at tsnet.ru> wrote:
> Hello all
> Recently I played with newLISP (a very nice tiny one:
> http://newlisp.org) and noticed that it uses gtk server
> (http://www.turtle.dds.nl/gtk-server/) for GUI construction.
>
> It is very easy to do the same with squeak (download server and sample
> config, and simply follow one of examples). However a resulting UI is
> considerably laggish (because of current network code implementation, I
> suspect).
> I was not attentive during last gtk discussions, so I may be missing
> something, but anyway - what Goran and other interested think about this?
>
> Danil

Well, Ragnar is doing something very similar AFAIK.

I am not though - I am trying to build a Gtk plugin so that the Gtk
stuff is actually running "in the VM" as a plugin. I think a plugin
would enable more interesting uses - but it is of course more complex,
so both approaches have their respective merit.

I have packaged a little demo (for Win32) with a first little stab at
callbacks here:

	http://anakin.bluefish.se/gohu/25

Next step for me is to try to make the callback generic (for all
different kinds of signal signatures) and to write a little Lisp parser
for the .defs files that the PyGTK package has

The PyGTK people have written some advanced parser that produces .defs
files from the Gtk+ source files. These .defs files is then used in
PyGTK to autogenerate most of PyGTK and I wish to do the same in my
GtkPlugin. And Ragnar is also looking at doing the same.

regards, Göran