major gc problem with my recient changes.

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Wed Apr 7 16:26:01 UTC 2004

If anyone is getting sick of me posting endlessly about my VM hacks,
please let me know.

In evaluating the changes I made last night I hit a significant problem.

The code works but causes, on my image processor code, no fewer than
10^6 incremental garbage collects! (no exageration!)

I _THINK_ this is happening in the largeIntegersPlugin (putting self
halt. after the call to said primative in the places I think it is being
used does not trigger any debug boxes).

How should I go about tracking down what code actually causes this?
What are the normal triggers of an incremental GC?

Since it is a MAJOR performance killer I feel obligated to zap it before
continuing with my so-called "optimizations"...