[ANN] ObjectiveC Bridge

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Apr 8 02:14:18 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 03:30:16AM -0700, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2004, at 3:16 AM, Ian Piumarta wrote:
>
> > If you compile the plugin internally, or if you have neither
> > UnixOSProcessPlugin nor SqueakFFIPrims loaded, then all symbol lookups
> > will work exactly as expected.  The problems I described are due to
> > conflicts between external plugins, rather than an outright failure to
> > work in any situation.  (The problem surfaced when UnixOSProcPlug was
> > active and suddenly Croquet refused to work because the FFI prims were
> > failing to load properly.)
>
> Getting rid of UnixOSProcessPlugin did the trick for me.  Thanks.

I don't think that this is directly related to the issue you are
discussing here, but FYI: A few folks have run OSPP on OS X with
varying degrees of success. Most recently, Rick Thomas did some
remote debugging (I don't have access to an OS X box to do it myself),
and we think that we got things working reasonably well exclusive
of X display functions.

make sure the OSPP plugin is compiled with -D_REENTRANT. The last
bit is critical; on OS X you will definitely crash your VM if you
don't compile with -D_REENTRANT. This is because OSPP is doing
signal handling and asyc io event forwarding, and the VM on OS X
is running with several pthreads. The whole mess comes crashing
down if the C runtime is not paying attention to pthreads, hence
the -D_REENTRANT.

Dave

p.s. If somebody knows what symbol names in OSPP are conflicting with
the FFI symbol names on OS X, please let me know and I'll see if I
can come up with a workaround. Bear in mind that I don't have an
actual Mac to work with, so specific information is appreciated.