Squeak on FreeBSD

Peter William Lount peter at ActiveInfo.CA
Thu Apr 8 08:09:26 UTC 2004

Chris Burket wrote:
> I have attached this new port as a whole.
> It would be nice if you could also test the port a little bit.

Hi Chris,

I've installed and tested the new squeak vm 3.6-3 test "freebsd" port that
you provided in your email. It works great! I'd say release it to the
FreeBSD.org web site as a new port version (if you think it's ready)! It
would be great to call it "squeak363" rather than "squeak3". Many of the
freebsd ports have multiple named port versions (i.e. Perl).

It also runs very well with my 3.7a-5816 smalltalk.org development and
production image.

I tried out the "inisqueak" script for the first time and like it, although
it would be nice if it also looked for image, changes and sources files in
the present working directory (pwd) as well as the /usr/local/share/squeak
directory. Just a nice add on so that you don't have to put all the images
in the share directory! Might not want to share them but still want to see
them in the selection menu.... very minor enhancement.

It's by far the best unix port yet!

What kind of and amount of work is involved in keeping it upto date with the
latest unix vm upgrades?

oh, I didn't find the listening to one ip address socket stuff in it though.
Maybe you could point me at the class?

Awesome!

Cheers,

Peter