3.7 Full: Developers or Media users?

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Thu Apr 8 21:12:22 UTC 2004

Am 08.04.2004 um 22:20 schrieb Martin Wirblat:

> Diego Gomez Deck <DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com> wrote on 08.04.2004
> 20:01:55:
>>
>> Hi folks...
>>
>> I'm working on assembling the full image for 3.7.
>>
>> There are some packages that make sense for developers but for
>> media-users. (VMMaker, Refactoring Browser, etc).
>>
>> The goal in Small-Land is to cover media-users.
>>
>> So the question: The Full 3.7 has to cover users AND developers?
>
> Of course Full has to include both, because Full is defined as what is

Well, the definition I remembered is a bit different
(http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3412).

> integrated and working together best, what is tested as a whole
> entity, what is expected to be maintained, what resembles the old
> monolithic world of Squeak. Otherwise Full would make no sense.

Hey, a volunteer, great! Testing the Full image and making sure
everything plays nicely together is a very serious task.

> It is not something like the "media system" or the "user system"!

Of the three (Full, Basic, Minimal), yes, it *is* the first-stop media
user system. This is the one somebody new to Deep Squeaking should use
(in contrast to Casual Squeakers which we refer to Squeakland).

That said, I'm a bit indifferent about including hard-core hacking
stuff like VMMaker or Refactoring browser. I personally would include
VMMaker but not RB, but I couldn't explain where to draw the line.

- Bert -