[FIX] Re: Looking at compiler inline...

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Apr 8 21:39:47 UTC 2004

Alan Grimes <alangrimes at starpower.net> wrote:

> Attached is a fix to the built-in method "preDecrement" which was
> generating wrong code.
Thanks; you're quite right on that.

> I was discussing how the compiler treats a certain smalltalk directive.
> If you recall, when we last talked about inlining we discussed making
> gcc do the inlining. I had proposed that we honor the "self inline:
> true." statements. The last message was merely my status report on that
> project.
OK, but your message really wasn't clear.
Quickly looking at the issue I'd guess that one could (for a most
trivial not most efficient pass) add #isInlined: aTMethod to
CCodeGenerator and use that in
TMethod>emitCFunctionPrototype:generator: to find out if one needs to
write 'inline' with the function definition. Bet it could be done more
neatly though I wouldn't bother until and unless it seems like a
winning idea.

> What is Slang? Is there a URL? (It's not on SM)
It's the pidgin that the VM is written in; I forget who coined the term
but I can't remember us not using it. Has to date back to 97 at least.

tim
Useful random insult:- His seat back is not in the full upright and locked position.