"Squeakers" documentary DVD with subtitles are on the Squeakland site!

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Fri Apr 9 03:00:22 UTC 2004

  Hello,

  We, people at Viewpoints Reseach, are pleased to announce that we
are now offering the "Squeakers" documentary DVD with the subtitles in
12 different languages.

  This documentary introduces Squeak, as well as the people and idea
behind Squeak.  The *big* thinkers, such as Seymour Papert, Jerome
Bruner, Quincy Jones, and Kim Rose and Alan Kay, talk about their
philosophy on education and how to make the world a better place.  Of
course, there are scenes of the end-users (of all ages from all over
the world) playing and learning with Squeak.

  The main focus of this documentary is the educational aspect of
Squeak, but some chapters, such as a brief history on Alan Kay's work
and Squeak, are of interest of hardcore Squeak developers.

  The production is true professional quality.  Award-winning director
and produducer with HD camera made this beautiful film.

  Now, we can talk about the subtitles.  Thanks to the all volunteers,
we've added the subtitles in 12 different languages!  The languages
are:

  Chinese (simplified), Dutch, English, French, German, Greek,
Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portugese, Spanish, Swedish.

  For a side note, all subtitles are rendered from text files into
bitmaps with tools written in Squeak.  The font management,
previewing, timing adjustment, and etc. are all in Squeak.

  The DVD is avilable from the squeakland site.  Please visit:

http://www.squeakland.org/sqmedia/movies/order.html

  The price is (only) $8.00, which is essentially a give-away price if
you think about the production cost, and the value of documentary.
(Since Viewpoints Research is a non-profit organization, this disc
isn't for profit after all.)

  Note that this version of DVD is NTSC standard.  For people in
Europe, most of South America, and Asia with a few exceptions, we are
very soon releasing the PAL version.  Please be patient for two weeks
or so.  We'll make another announcement when it is ready.

  If you're planning to see the DVD solely on computers, this NTSC
version may be ok.  But in general, it is a good idea to get a PAL
disc to play it with stock player and TV in those areas.

  Thank you and enjoy!

-- Yoshiki