Squeak in Robotics

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Fri Apr 9 07:08:17 UTC 2004

  Hello,

At Thu, 08 Apr 2004 19:27:12 -0700,
Tim Rowledge wrote:

> Roderick Taylor <r.taylor at student.qut.edu.au> wrote:
>
> > to compile Unix Squeak.  I've compiled a working linux kernel
> > with this cross compiler so I know it works at least.
> >
> > Does anybody have any tips on cross compiling Unix Squeak?
> > Would the easiest way be to rewrite a build system for it?
> I'd suggest that if you've been able to crosscompile a linux kernel
> then you probably won't have any trouble compiling a vm. It's only a C
> program after all. For the Interval MediaPad we had to survive the
> awful cross-compiler tools that ARM used to offer (they're supposed to
> be much better now) and even those caused no real problems in
> compiling. Transferring the executable across to the pad, though, well
> that caused some ulcers.

  The trouble is that the *too smart* configure script which doesn't
take the fact that the double byte order of the host environment may
not be the same as the target into account.

  For simple hack purpose, hand-editting

#define DOUBLE_WORD_ORDER 1

line in the generated config.h

into

#undef	DOUBLE_WORD_ORDER

, with some other Makefile editting possibly link the target specific
libraries may do it for now.

-- Yoshiki