Where is Squeak Headed?

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Fri Apr 9 16:15:38 UTC 2004

Doug Way <dway at mailcan.com>  wrote...

>Hi Dan.  Yes, that would be great if you could make a first pass at a new version of "Where is Squeak Headed".  I could potentially contribute a paragraph or two on recent Squeak release content and also developments in community processes such as harvesting.  Certainly you could comment on the new 64-bit project, etc.

I would love to see a contribution from you about community process and harvesting.  Methinks we should have a separate place for recent release content.  Not exactly "where we've been", but more like "recent events".  Here again, it would be great if you would write a couple of paragraphs on it.

>I assume you're primarily talking about this page (and related pages):
>
>http://squeak.org/about/headed.html
>
>There is also "The future of Squeak" page (linked from the top page of the swiki) at http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2915 , which is not quite as badly out of date, but could also use some updating.
>
>Probably these two pages should be combined into one... perhaps the squeak.org "about" page could have a simple link to a master "Where is Squeak Headed" page on the swiki.

Let's keep both pages.  I propose the following process for this and other such "reports":

1.  A "Where Squeak is Headed" page on the swiki  gets updated frequently by  the community.

2.  Whenever we feel the need, someone (the "editor") pretties it up and copies it to Squeak.org.

3.  The Squeak.org version always carries a link to the possibly-flakier-but-more-up-to-date version on the swiki

I will start working on the swiki page next week.  I'm jammed through the weekend, so feel free to take a first pass at it.  That way we can all work on it together for a couple of weeks until it feels good.

	- Dan