Looking at compiler inline...

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Apr 10 19:48:47 UTC 2004

Alan Grimes <alangrimes at starpower.net> wrote:
> Ian Piumarta wrote:
>
> > You can build a VM from a non-gnuified interp.c, but you have to tell
> > "make" explicitly to avoid trying to gnuify it at all, like this:
> >
> >     ../plat/ux/conf/configure         # as usual
> >     make INTERP=interp                # avoid gnuifying
>

> oh...
> I ended up editing acinclude.m4 and clobbering all refferances to it....
>
> This means my inlined builds are nocibly slower. =(

Ian, Alan,

The old SHA gnuify script, in addition to supporting all awk's, also
supports non-inlined interpreters.  If it sees the text "inline: true"
in the code, then it assumes the interpreter was not inlined and it
will just cat the output back out.  Anyone playing with non-inlined
VM's on Unix may want to grab it.

-Lex