3.7 Full: Developers or Media users?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Apr 10 19:45:24 UTC 2004

Doug Way <dway at mailcan.com> wrote:
> Hi Diego.  Good question... that hasn't really been precisely defined.
> Well, we have decided that for now, Full is a superset of Basic, and
> Basic does include the basic developer tools, at least (browsers,
> etc.).  So, there is some support for developers in Full, then, too.
>
> For now, at least, I would tend to keep at least the developer tools
> (such as VMMaker) which were already in the earlier Full releases.

Me too.  I  would like to see "full" include the developer stuff.  It is
perfectly understandable if the Full image has tons of stuff that any
particular user will not use.  I would rather have Full be too big, than
have a major class of users needing to download extra stuff even beyond
what the "full" image already includes.

Further, even if we do find someone to volunteer on maintaining images,
I would suggest that they work on creating one good full image instead
of making multiple images that have different stuff loaded.  We seem to
have a serious lack right now regarding image maintenance.  But of
course, any effort someone volunteers is great.

-Lex