CommandShell on Windows XP

Alistair Grant alistair at alphalink.com.au
Sun Apr 11 04:12:04 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I'm trying to get the CommandShell working on WinXP. The basic shell appears
to be working correctly (SAR packages are neat!).

However when first trying to execute an OS command, something like "cannot
access system to run 'notepad'" was returned.  Executing "OSProcess command:
'notepad'" works fine.  I traced it down to:

    WindowsOSProcessAccessor>>canAccessSystem

primGetPid is returning nil.

After saving the image and restarting, it gets past the above, but a
different error is returned:

    WindowsOSProcessAccessor(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
#primCreatePipeWithSessionIdentifier:

Squeak version:  Squeak3.6-5429-full.image

Any suggestions appreciated.

Since this is my first post, for those interested, a small introduction:

I worked with VisualWorks between about 1993 and 1998, including porting it
to OpenVMS and writing a GUI for a real time control system with it.  I
haven't programmed since then, and don't really program now, so I am
extremely rusty. :-)   I've just started playing with Squeak for personal
interest.

Thanks very much.

Cheers,

Alistair.