[FIX] perennial unix build problem...

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Apr 11 17:27:21 UTC 2004

> While you are free to develop and promote a solution to the problem
> which meets your demanding aesthetic criteria you are demonstrably
> incorrect to say that it is "completely and utterly wrong" for the
> simple fact that my change eliminates all symptoms of the problem.

In other words, a work-around (it addresses your symptoms) not a solution
(which addresses the cause).

> If you update the CVS so that it actually works without forcing the user
> to make changes that you claim he isn't qualified to do I will be hapy
> to retract my proposed changes.

I disagree with that - to me the CVS tree is a development area which you
*can* use but for which you shouldn't expect a working out-of-the-box build.
That's what a release tar-ball is for.

> In the mean time, retract this stupid "I'll give you a free beer" thing,
> I take it as an insult!
[...]
> Let me just hit send before I get _REALLY_ angry.

You know, from the way you express yourself (are you a native english
speaker?) you seem to be a rather angry type of person. If I look over some
of your recent posts, you seem to like throwing exclamation marks and
awkwards sounds at people, calling code "a whole world of ugliness" and
similar things while ... how do I put that ... lacking quite a bit of
background information about how and why things work the way they do.

Speaking personally, such messages do not convince me to address any of the
things you probably want to have addressed, quite to the contrary. It would
be very helpful (both for getting the issues addressed as well as for how
serious you want your posts to be taken) if you could concentrate on the
factual matters you want to resolve rather than the emotional impacts they
have on you.

Cheers,
  - Andreas