Squeak, Databases and large amounts of objects

Chris Burkert chris at chrisburkert.de
Mon Apr 12 19:38:51 UTC 2004

Hi Adrian

First of all, speed doesn't matter so much.

Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Interesting might be Postgis, http://postgis.refractions.net/, an add on to
> Postgres, implementing  a geographic datatype with R-Tree indicices for
> contained-in selects...

This is very interesting though it is a relational DBS. I will have a
look at it.

> GOODS: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3492

There seems to be no authentication and authorization. But it could be a
good choice.

> I don't know the GIS domain but probably one more important item in your
> list is how fast you can access and search your data. OODBMS such as Magma
> or GOODS may perform much worse than Postgres (with domain specific
> enhancements like Postgis) for searches. On the other hand, with OODBs you
> don't have to deal with mapping data between two different worlds.

The well known Impedance Mismatch ... this is one reason why I don't
want to use relational Systems. You can't model such complex Information
like hotels, crossings, mountain pass roads. In relational Systems I had
to reduce this to nodes and edges.

thanks a lot
            Chris Burkert
--