A little namespace "proposal"

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Tue Apr 13 15:58:47 UTC 2004

Quoting goran.krampe at bluefish.se:

> Colin? Forgive me?

Sure, no problem.

For me, the crux of the issue is that I really don't like the idea of
"rendering" the source differently in different contexts. I don't use pretty
printers for the same reason. That's not to say that there's no merit in
alternate ways of viewing and manipulating code, but that's not really what
your proposing.

I think this boils down to slightly different goals again. As far as I can tell,
you're mostly concerned with allowing packages to peacefully co-exist, with
minimal changes to the existing system.

I guess my proposal is slighly more forward looking in that I also want to make
it easier to do "alternate universe" kinds of development as Andreas has done
with Tweak and Croquet. I would really like those kinds of projects to happen
in the space of normal Squeak development - to be packages rather than forks
that have to be reintegrated at some point in the future. I fully admit that's
driven by self interest - I see OmniBrowser and Monticello going down that road
and I want to prevent it if I can.

Colin