[BUG] 3.6.2 VM has lost a primitive

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Apr 13 19:18:28 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 13 April 2004 11:53 am, Andreas Raab wrote:
> The changes you refer to were neither in the official 3.5 or 3.6 release.
> Since I don't, for no reason whatsoever, include any "non-official"
> modifications to either ObjectMemory or Interpreter I can only assume that
> you have been using a custom VM which didn't change the version information
> accordingly (e.g., this isn't really THE 3.5.1 VM but rather A 3.5.1 VM).

CS  5578becomeFwdCopyHash-brp (late November 2003) added this, and uses
primitive 249 (Interpreter>>#primitiveArrayBecomeOneWayCopyHash)

elementsForwardIdentityTo: otherArray copyHash: copyHash
	"This primitive performs a bulk mutation, causing all pointers to the
elements of this array to be replaced by pointers to the corresponding
elements of otherArray.  The identityHashes remain with the pointers rather
than with the objects so that the objects in this array should still be
properly indexed in any existing hashed structures after the mutation."
	<primitive: 249>
	self primitiveFailed

But obviously this came out after the official 3.6 release.

The comment in the CS says:
This change has been introduced in the VMMaker3-7a.sar package.

It's hard for me to understand how the 3.6.2 VM could have forseen these
changes...

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com