A little namespace "proposal"

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Wed Apr 14 21:00:36 UTC 2004

>I like the email of lex. Now I do not really understand why there is something wrong with the following code
>
>I prefer to show code that write names since we all have a different understanding of them ;)
>
>Tweak namespace new
>	import: MorphWithExtraLongName from: Morphic
>	import: Scheduler from: Kernel;
>	import: lkjlkjl from: Grrrrr;
>
>MorphiWithExtraLongName subclass: #MyWonderderfullClass
>
>MyWonderfullClass>>myWonderfulMethod
>	Scheduler start

Hi, Stef -

Thanks for the concrete example.

Does the first line declare the following imports as part of a namespace named 'Tweak', or are we creating an as-yet-unnamed namespace  by sending a message to a global object Tweak (like Smalltalk)?  If the former, the I was expecting something easier to execute (ie receiver doesn't start out undefined) like
	Namespace new named: 'Tweak'

If I were writing myWonderfulMethod and accepting it for the first time, would the programmer's assistant offer up a menu like...

"Scheduler is not defined in this namespace..."
	|  import from Kernel
	|  import from NewSchedTest
	|  declare local
	|  declare global
	|  leave undeclared

If so it would be fairly consistent with what we have now.

	- Dan