[Q] bit-identical (was: notes from Squeak presentation to local SUG)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Apr 20 08:53:57 UTC 2004

"ajbarrosbr" <ajbn at cin.ufpe.br> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have seen the term "bit-identical" mentioned many times on this
> list.
> Sorry for that, I suppose, newbie question, but could someone
> elaborate more on the topic
>
> > - "bit-identical" on a range of platforms, even PDA
>
> mentioned in the Yanni's message?
> TIA,

What it means is that Squeak binaries (the image and ImageSegments like
the .pr Project files) work without any modification at all on the
multiple platforms. Same "bits".

It might also sometimes refer to the fact that Squeak programs behave
identically (well, pretty much if we disregard some problematic areas
like filesystems) on all platforms.

regards. Göran