Squeak, Databases and large amounts of objects

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Apr 20 14:37:20 UTC 2004

Hi people!

"Gary McGovern" <zeppy at australia.edu> wrote:
> That sounds like an interesting approach. I'd like to know more !!!!!  If
> anyone knows.
> Thanks
> Gary
>
> >Hi Chris and List:

I have used ImageSegments quite a lot - SqueakMap uses them and my
HomepageBuilder too. They are neat and nice if you can logically
"segment" your model. SqueakMap has only one "logical" part - because it
is so small. HB has one per account.

ImageSegments save pretty fast but with a full GC as overhead (so to
speak), the load very fast. So if you don't make too many modifications
then I assume you could actually use ImageSegments like a "paging
system" swapping parts of your model in and out on demand.

Btw, Magma can also be used without having to install anything
separately - it can run locally in the application image.

regards, Göran