[Q] bit-identical (was: notes from Squeak presentation to localSUG)

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Tue Apr 20 14:19:13 UTC 2004

> "ajbarrosbr" <ajbn at cin.ufpe.br> wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I have seen the term "bit-identical" mentioned many times on this
> > list.
> > Sorry for that, I suppose, newbie question, but could someone
> > elaborate more on the topic

I guess image portability, mentioned by Goran, is one
interpretation. But I've always taken "bit-identical"
to mean that you see the same bits on the screen, regardless
of platform. The few times I've worked on a cross-platform
application, it would look different on each platform because
the fonts were slightly different (so line breaks occured in
different places), window decorations were different (look,
size & behaviour), colours were rendered differently,
...and so on.

--yanni