Squeak Threading Model

gwalias-bb at yahoo.com gwalias-bb at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 14:30:22 UTC 2004

Dear Squeakers

I'm a total newbie to Squeak and therefore brimming with questions, the most burning of which is as follows ...

<simply-stated>
When I instantiate classes as objects in Squeak, does/can each object have its own thread? If I create a bunch of objects (agents) on e.g. a linux cluster, will I be able to take natural advantage of the multiprocessing environment using Squeak?
</simply-stated>

<nitty-gritty>
It seems from the docs that Squeak threads are like green threads NOT OS threads. Is this true?
Can I/do I need to - implement locks/semaphores and/or channels for controlling the way that threads execute in Squeak?
Is there a Squeak bottleneck problem analogous to the Global Interpreter Lock (GIL) bottleneck in Python since Squeak is also interpreted (or is Squeak "stackless")
Does anyone out there have any experience with Squeak on clusters that they might be willing to share with me?
<nitty-gritty>

Best

Gordon

:::::::::: Gordon Webster ::::::::::