Multiple OS Windows for Squeak?

Peter William Lount peter at ActiveInfo.CA
Wed Apr 21 17:28:43 UTC 2004

From: "Tim Rowledge" <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu>
> "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > I truly think you're wrong here ;-)
> Well, good. I have to be wrong occasionally.  My scepticism is based on
> being involved in two or maybe three projects to do similar stuff at
> PPS. All showed early promise, all had smart people working on them and
> all turned into problems. But you're definitely right to say that our
> needs are simpler and it may be enough to make it practical.

Hi,

It's really simple. First we adjust the C level code to open multiple
windows. We likely will want to keep a list of open windows in C. We will
want C functions/methods to open and close windows. Then we modify the
Smalltalk level code so that smalltalk windows can be opened on it. We
either modify Display to have multiple "rectangles" or we implement
additional Display devices (I like this approach since each window is really
it's own Display and each Smalltalk window opened in an os window would know
which "Display" medium it's drawing on, and so would it's subviews). Any
other smalltalk level code that needs modificaiton will rear it's head and
we can take care of it.

Simple. No big plans. One step at a time.

Cheers,

Peter