Squeak Threading Model

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Apr 21 18:39:33 UTC 2004

On Apr 21, 2004, at 7:30 AM, <gwalias-bb at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Can I/do I need to - implement locks/semaphores and/or channels for
> controlling the way that threads execute in Squeak?

For what purpose?  Squeak has its own semaphores for its green threads.
  You would need to do your own threading and locking (in a plugin) if
you wanted to interact with some kind of blocking IO.

> Is there a Squeak bottleneck problem analogous to the Global
> Interpreter Lock (GIL) bottleneck in Python since Squeak is also
> interpreted (or is Squeak "stackless")

Squeak is "stackless" in the "stackless python" sense, yes.  I don't
know enough about the internals of Python to say what the implications
of the GIL are, and whether they apply to Squeak.

Avi