Multiple OS Windows for Squeak?

Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Wed Apr 21 21:14:20 UTC 2004

Hi Peter,

Is there any way you could use separate instances of Squeak running in
different OS Windows?  If you're using Magma for you persistent storage,
the difference between this and having one VM able to output to multiple
OS Windows could be insignificant.  For that matter, if you save the
projects to files, it would be trivial to load any project into the
VM/image for any OS Window.  I guess I'm having difficulty coming up with
a scenario where one VM would need the ability to display in more than one
OS window.

                -Dean

"Peter William Lount" <peter at ActiveInfo.CA>
Sent by: squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org
04/21/04 03:12 PM
Please respond to The general-purpose Squeak developers list

        To:     "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Multiple OS Windows for Squeak?

Hi,

Bill wrote:
> I'm impressed - of course I'm the first to admit that I could easily be
missing something that would spoil the plan.  I'm still more concerned
about
improving the feel of Morphic widgets than I am about having access to
native ones, but I'm pleased to see efforts in either direction.

Certainly improving Morphic widgets and having the various platform
widgets
would be really really nice.

I'm actually not proposing anything to do with Native Widgets except for
opening additional os windows.

Having os windows enables existing and new Morphic applications to open
within multiple os windows fitting into the os's better. The use case
(that
I'm interested in) is being able to open two or more "smalltalk projects"
each in it's own os window. I like multliple os windows that can overlap
and
on very high resolution you can have them next to each other. The problem
with having one very large squeak os windows is that it covers most other
os
application windows. Being able to move a squeak window into a different
os
window would help solve this. It also enables people with two or more
displays to have utilize their screen valuable hardware screen space
effectively.

Cheers,

Peter
peter at smalltalk.org