[Q] bit-identical (was: notes from Squeak presentation to localSUG)

ajbarrosbr ajbn at cin.ufpe.br
Thu Apr 22 19:39:48 UTC 2004

Goran/Yanni/Tim,

Thank you for the answers.
I have one more question on this subject ;)
In the article entitled "Croquet - A Collaboration System
Architecture" by David Smith, Alan Kay, Andreas Raab, and David
Reed, available at <http://www.reed.com/tealand/lightsmith/03.02.26%
20CroquetPaperFinal.pdf>, at end of the introduction section, you
can read: "Most attempts at true multiplatform systems have turned
out to be dangerous approximations (cf. Java) rather than the bit-
identical "mathematically guaranteed" ports that are required."
What does "mathematically guaranteed" (quotes from the authors) mean
here?
Cheers,

Antonio Barros
Brazil

--- In squeak at yahoogroups.com, Tim Rowledge <tim at s...> wrote:
> Yanni Chiu <yanni at r...> wrote:

> > I guess image portability, mentioned by Goran, is one
> > interpretation. But I've always taken "bit-identical"
> > to mean that you see the same bits on the screen, regardless
> > of platform. The few times I've worked on a cross-platform
> > application, it would look different on each platform because
> > the fonts were slightly different (so line breaks occured in
> > different places), window decorations were different (look,
> > size & behaviour), colours were rendered differently,
> > ...and so on.
> I'd say you're both correct. The nice thing about squeak is that
both
> runs and looks the same. And the issue of font sizes etc is one of
the
> problem points for use of host OS widgets.
>

> tim
> --
> Tim Rowledge, tim at s..., http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim
> To succeed in politics, it is often necessary to rise above your
principles.