[ANN] reading and viewing GIS data in ESRI shapefile format

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Fri Apr 23 19:13:46 UTC 2004

On Apr 23, 2004, at 5:17 AM, Baveco, Hans wrote:

> I just put a small package on SqueakMap, to read and view GIS data in
> ESRI shapefile format (the format used by ESRI's ArcView program).
> It adds some basic functionality required to improve Squeak's
> geo-processing abilities, which are currently a bit underdeveloped
> (Squeak could be made into a perfect platform for GIS work!).

Wow, lots of interest in using Squeak for GIS lately.

I've been hacking on a Shapefile reader of my own lately, though
apparently with different goals than yours. I've got DBF reading
finished, and Point shapes, but haven't implemented the other datatypes
yet.

I've been using GRASS on OS X for my GIS work, and so far it's been
fairly useful if not all that fun - I guess you've got to love the
command line to really dig GRASS. I found it had some problems reading
shapefiles, so I wrote this utility to a) check to make sure that the
files are not corrupt, and b) convert them into GRASS ASCII files,
which, I hope GRASS will handle without problems.

The files I'm working with are really big, so my code avoids loading
the whole thing into memory, and since I have no need to visualize the
data (GRASS does that just fine if it can read the file at all), I
haven't addressed that.

I don't think it's ready to go on SqueakMap at this point, but for
those interested, the code is attached.