FileDirectory>>fileExists: (was: Re: [BUG]Unable to load BFAV, various problems )

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Apr 24 02:16:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 12:37:14AM -0500, Colin Putney wrote:

> I've noticed that Squeak code doesn't deal with files all that much, at
> least not from what I can see. Is that because with images we don't
> need files much, or because our file system interface sucks?

Maybe a little of both, but also this: The concept of "files" is a
leftover artifact of various old "operating systems." Squeak does not
really need "files," nor does it really need "operating systems."

I never used Multics, but I believe that it served as an example
of an environment that did not expect its users to think in terms
of "files" in the way that has since become customary. It's worth
looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multics for some perspective.

Dave

p.s. I don't mean to suggest that we shouldn't improve the file
system interface. I'm just not sure it's very important as a core
part of Squeak.