64 bit images(was: A plan for 3.8/4.0...)

Juan Vuletich jmvsqueak at uolsinectis.com.ar
Mon Apr 26 13:36:26 UTC 2004

Hello

Yoshiki said:

>   I agree with Prof. Richard O'Keefe's comment here.  Most of the
> space/time consuming floats are in Arrays, so optimizing the boxed
> representation, or the rare case, wouldn't give me too much good.

That's not always the case. For example, I'm currently working with a
simulation system that on a modest simulation uses over 30000 Floats and
millions of float operations (in VSE). The simulation is made of lots of
small objects, and we could not make much use of FloatArrays. I believe that
an inmediate float representation (perhaps 32 bit, and not 61, to use
standard IEEE and C Floats) could make float operations faster, and avoiding
the creation of lots of instances would save memory and GC time.

Cheers,
Juan