Vivarium?

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Tue Apr 27 18:49:51 UTC 2004

Hi Eberhard --

The Vivarium project was sponsored by Apple and ran approximately
from 1986 to 1993 -- so it is long gone. We used Digitalk Smalltalk/V
(for "Vivarium") for many of the things we did.

We eventually plan to bring some of the ideas back to life (such as
having children do from scratch authoring of AL objects that can
participate in ecologies of various kinds). Some of the environments
were shown at O'Reilly as part of the Croquet demos.

There are a few words and pictures about the Vivarium in my Sept 1991
Scientific American article (see the html version at:
http://www.squeakland.org/school/HTML/sci_amer_article/sci_amer_01.html).

Cheers,

Alan