[ANN] Preview of Squeak interface to wxWidgets

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Apr 27 23:19:07 UTC 2004

> >   - Uses synchronous callbacks to Squeak via interpret()
>
> Can you elaborate on this?  I've always understood that this was a Bad
> Idea, though never entirely grokked why.

It's not a bad idea per se - it just gets VERY rapidly VERY nasty unless you
are VERY careful with the details of the implementation.

> It sounds like you had to make some modifications to get this to
> work - are they modifications that would make sense to incorporate
> into the base VM, and if not, why not?

I was going to check on this myself but the zip files don't include the
plugin source or any C glue that might be required. And unfortunately the
precompiled VM doesn't even run on my machine - it requires some MS
debugging DLL which isn't installed on my system and so the VM doesn't even
start.

> Naively, it sure would be nice to have something like
> interpreterProxy->perform(oop, selector, args) ...

*Grin* You probably have no idea about the horrors which a synchronous
callback like the above involves (and I'm not going to repeat today ;-) So
let's just say I don't think there will *ever* be a facility which works as
easily as the above since supporting synchronous callbacks is likely to
always require some support from the Squeak side (e.g., setting up a
"callback response" before it can be invoked from a C callback).

Cheers,
  - Andreas