[ANN] Preview of Squeak interface to wxWidgets

Rob Gayvert rtg at rochester.rr.com
Wed Apr 28 01:25:40 UTC 2004

> > >   - Uses synchronous callbacks to Squeak via interpret()
> >
> > Can you elaborate on this?  I've always understood that this was a Bad
> > Idea, though never entirely grokked why.
>
> It's not a bad idea per se - it just gets VERY rapidly VERY nasty
> unless you
> are VERY careful with the details of the implementation.

Indeed, it's extremely finicky and painful to debug. At one point I
thought I had it working, but found that it would crash exactly the
same way after precisely 13 callbacks.

> > It sounds like you had to make some modifications to get this to
> > work - are they modifications that would make sense to incorporate
> > into the base VM, and if not, why not?
>
> I was going to check on this myself but the zip files don't include the
> plugin source or any C glue that might be required. And unfortunately the
> precompiled VM doesn't even run on my machine - it requires some MS
> debugging DLL which isn't installed on my system and so the VM
> doesn't even
> start.

Sorry about that. I stupidly included the debug version of the executable
rather than the release version. I just now replaced the two zip files,
so please give it another try.

The VM mods for Win32 are very minor, and could probably be incorporated
into the base VM. In ioProcessEvents(), I need PeekMessage and GetMessage
to be restricted to the Squeak window, since I'm polling for events in wx
windows in a separate process. Also, my version of interpret() has a small
change that doesn't affect normal VM usage. I'll post the plugin and glue
code as soon as I get them cleaned up a bit.

.. Rob