Coroutines

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at cableone.net
Wed Apr 28 21:06:10 UTC 2004

Hello Avi,

Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2004, at 10:02 AM, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Doing a little exploring and reading about coroutines.
>>
>> I don't really know much about them.
>>
>> Does Squeak have/support coroutines?
>
> Yes, there are at least three ways you could implement coroutines:
>
> - using Process and Semaphore
> - using #swapSender: on ContextPart
> - using Continuation from the Seaside package
>
> The actual implementation is left as an exercise for the reader... ;)
> Was there a particular use you had in mind?  A lot of what coroutines
> might be used for in other languages would be done with block parameters
> in Smalltalk...

Just seeing it pop up in the context IO and web platforms. I wasn't real
familiar with what it was or if Squeak had it or could do it.

I didn't know if it was even advantageous or desirable in Squeak.

Thanks for the answer. I really need to look at and learn continuations
sometime also. I'm sure I can learn that magic from Seaside. :)

Jimmie