64 bit images(was: A plan for 3.8/4.0...)

Andrew Berg andrew_c_berg at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 29 05:46:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:57:53 -0300, Juan Vuletich
<jmvsqueak at uolsinectis.com.ar> wrote:

> Yoshiki,
>
> Well, I did my homework (a bit too late). I googled "squeak-dev immediate
> oop" and "squeak-dev immediate float". Lots of interesting reading,
> extensive discussions on this topic. Apparently anything but 64bit IEEE
> Floats (as Squeak Floats) is almost useless.
>
> So, we probably won't have immediate Floats until we have 128 bits
> machines...

Wouldn't a 61 bit float with the 3 bits missing from the exponent be
pretty useful?  I'd been lead to believe that the usual problem with
floating point math was in rounding in the mantissa, but that the high
bits of the exponent are very infrequently used.

-andrew
andrew_c_berg at yahoo.com