Ambrai Smalltalk Beta Available for Mac OS X

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Fri Apr 30 16:25:11 UTC 2004

>I just noticed that a beta version Ambrai Smalltalk is now available
>for Mac OS X <http://ambrai.com/>.  I've just played with it briefly,
>but it seems to work.

I, too, have only played with it briefly.  It's great to have something simple like this leap into the mainstream.  They seem to have done a nice job, and the performance is not at all shabby for a beta.  I get 42% of Squeak's bytecode speed and 87% of Squeak's send speed as measured against Squeak 3.7 in OS X.

I didn't see any graphics (other than Mac widgets) or sound, but there's plenty that they can tap into.

I'd give it a thumbs up.

	- Dan