package universes and filters question

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Sun Aug 1 17:26:06 UTC 2004

Hi Lex,

I have a question regarding package universes.

Assumed there are separated universes for stable and unstable packages,
U_stable and U_unstable.

Now we put the union of these packages into a new universe U_all, but to
know, where they have come from, we label each package with the name of
the universe, from which it stems.
As a result each package in U_all has a label #U_stable or #U_unstable.

Now to my question:

I see no difference between the functionality of
- a dependency resolver working in U_stable (or U_unstable), and
- another one working in U_all *together* with a filter selecting the
wished packages with label #U_stable (or #U_unstable), before starting
to work.

Do you see any problems with this approach?

Greetings
Stephan
--
Stephan Rudlof (sr at evolgo.de)