[OT] Anyone ever going to stop this?

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sun Aug 1 21:46:33 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 01:06:02AM -0700, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I always thought certain patents are bulls..., but this comes pretty
> close to patenting the "expansion and contraction of biological tissue
> as a means to acquire bio-chemical energy supply and exhaust exchange"
>
> And it sounds a lot like what Exobox did quite a few years ago.

You know, I was just considering an IP business model:

1) apply for a patent covering "a method for extracting revenue from
intellectual property which doesn't require expenditures for basic
research or product development."

2) launch an SCO-style series of lawsuits. Actually, SCO itself would
probably be one of the first targets. Offer an RIAA-style amnesty for
those who knuckle under to extorti^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H purchase a
patent license.

I figure if it works we could get rich while at the same time making
life difficult for corporate extortionists. If it doesn't, we at least
establish a precedent for putting a stop to this sort of thing.

Yeesh.

Colin