Morphic, I still don't get it...

Gary Fisher gafisher at sprynet.com
Mon Aug 2 11:55:00 UTC 2004

Greetings, José!

If I may paraphrase you a bit, Morphic is very powerful for doing unordinary
things.  The fact that "it doesn't 'impose' a set of standards" can indeed
lead to situations where "programs end up being very different one to each
other," but of course Morphic does not //require// that, it simply permits
it.  In some cases, and in some hands, that degree of freedom may be
unnecessary, but it is never inherently undesirable.

The difference is akin to that between a set of rubber stamps and a box of
crayons -- the stamping blocks make it easy to assemble words and phrases,
ensuring readability and uniformity and guiding the user's imagination
within certain limits, while the crayons give free reign to the imagination
but leave the bulk of the responsibility for usefulness or presentability to
the user.

If one is making signs the stamping blocks may be sufficient, but the
crayons can be used for far more than just signs, and can lead to some
rather striking signs as well.

All the best,

Gary